[syslinux] Syslinux 4.04-pre14: anything missing please holler

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Mar 22 17:37:51 PDT 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, Gene Cumm wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 18:49, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
>> If there is anything that you think should have been in Syslinux 4.04
>> which isn't there please holler now.
>>
>>        -hpa
>
> I'm not sure if there's time but...

-snip-

> The entire banner is displayed and then it seems to hang.  After
> waiting about 12 seconds my VM displayed some strange "extended" ASCII
> pattern then 2 seconds later rebooted.

I also experience a problem with 4.04pre14 on a test ISO image using Qemu
0.14.0. Syslinux boots but gets stuck immediately at:

     ISOLINUX 4.04 4.04-pre14 ETCD

While the same image does work fine with 4.03.

Images was created using:

----
TEMPDIR=$(mktemp -d temp.XXXX)
mkdir -p $TEMPDIR/syslinux/
cp -av /usr/share/syslinux/*.{c32,com} $TEMPDIR/syslinux/
cp -av /usr/share/syslinux/isolinux.bin $TEMPDIR/syslinux/
cp -ab maps/ $TEMPDIR/syslinux/
cp -av syslinux.cfg $TEMPDIR/syslinux/
mkisofs -quiet -o testiso.iso -b syslinux/isolinux.bin -c syslinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table $TEMPDIR
rm -rf $TEMPDIR
----

I will see if I can reproduce it tomorrow with a simple configuration as
well.