[syslinux] Syslinux 4.04-pre14: anything missing please holler

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 09:12:38 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 23:34, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, Gert Hulselmans wrote:
>
>> Dag Wieers wrote:

>>> I also experience a problem with 4.04pre14 on a test ISO image using Qemu
>>> 0.14.0. Syslinux boots but gets stuck immediately at:
>>>
>>>     ISOLINUX 4.04 4.04-pre14 ETCD
>>
>> So try:
>>  make spotless
>>  make
>
> Then the build simply fails at:
>
> + /usr/bin/make installer
> perl version.pl version version.mk '< := @'
> /usr/bin/make -r installer-local
> make[1]: Entering directory `/dar/build/syslinux-4.04-pre14'
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `installer-local'.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/dar/build/syslinux-4.04-pre14'
> set -e ; for i in libinstaller mtools linux extlinux utils; do /usr/bin/make
> -r -C $i all ; done
> make[1]: Entering directory `/dar/build/syslinux-4.04-pre14/libinstaller'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../core/ldlinux.bss', needed by
> `bootsect_bin.c'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/dar/build/syslinux-4.04-pre14/libinstaller'
> make: *** [installer] Error 2
>
> And we don't have any packages for RHEL/CentOS :)

Dag, did you do 'make spotless', 'make', then 'make installer'?  If I
recall correctly, you'll need to upgrade nasm and possibly gcc and
binutils to build from source on CentOS 5.x but I'm not sure on the
preferred method.

I just built a full package from source using a brand new Debian
stable x86 install by extracting the official tar.bz2 then running the
above 3 make commands.  At this point I'm leaning towards something
with HPA's build box or an interaction with the build box and the
code.  I know there are still outstanding issues on GCC 4.6 (still
beta).

--
-Gene