[syslinux] Nested SYSLINUX configurations -- error using CONFIG directive

Rich Mahn rich at lat.com
Tue Mar 29 10:51:49 PDT 2011

It looks like maybe I hijacked a thread.  Sorry about that--I can't seem
to figure out how to see or modify what the full header will be in
thunderbird and my usual e-mail (emacs on another machine) doesn't seem
to be able to post to this discussion group.

On 3/29/2011 1:05 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:56, Rich Mahn <rich at lat.com> wrote:
>> There seems to be an error using '..' in the append portion of the
>> CONFIG directive.
>
> ".." will be passed directly to your TFTP server.  It is not
> interpreted by PXELINUX at all.  It may be possible to configure your
> TFTP server to deal with this.

No.  This is not my situation at all.  I'm not using TFTP or PXELINUX.
This is SYSLINUX, and I'm using a USB drive and booting from the USB
drive.
I'm talking about the CONFIG/APPEND option in the syslinux.cfg file.
They work fine when decending a directory hierarchy.  They just don't
work in the opposite direction.

I see this behaviour in all versions that support the CONFIG directive.