[syslinux] grub config garbage after 512 bytes when chainloading via chain.c32

Greg Forte greg.forte at trueposition.com
Thu May 12 14:01:34 PDT 2011

[back story]: I want to convert a non-iso customized Solaris install
image (for USB flash stick) to an isolinux hybridized bootable iso image
... since the Solaris installer uses grub out of the box, my first
approach was to chain load grub from isolinux (this isn't strictly
material to the problem, just trying to avoid the "why on earth would
you do that?" responses ;-)  I've smoke-tested converting the grub
config into an isolinux config so I can just cut grub out entirely, so
the grub problem will probably become academic, but I still wanted to
raise it ...

[grub issue]: the chain loading of grub (legacy) stage2 works fine, but
it only displays the first two of four menu options that I have in my
menu.lst.  Dropping to the command interface and catting the menu.lst
shows that the file appears to be corrupted or possibly concatenated
with a sector from another file, starting after the 512th byte (which
falls in the middle of the third 'title' line).  I get the same behavior
with either stage2 or stage2_eltorito (at first I hoped it just needed
the eltorito version because it's an iso9660 fs).  The menu.lst file
appears contiguous in the iso image (which I'd expect, since it's < 2048
bytes), and catting it in the grub shell prints exactly the right number
of chars, but most of it after byte 512 shows as '?' (assuming these are
unprintable ascii).  I found what I think is the "garbage" elsewhere in
the image, and if I'm translating back to the address that would appear
in the iso9660 file descriptor table, it's the beginning of the grub
reiserfs_stage1_5 file ... for whatever that's worth.

any idea what's going on here?

-g

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the recipients named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender of that fact and delete the e-mail from your system.