[syslinux] serial port install system

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu May 19 18:39:18 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 21:27, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 05/19/2011 06:26 AM, Rance Hall wrote:
>> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
>>> On 05/18/2011 02:19 PM, Rance Hall wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Yes, the "serial" command does this by default.
>>>
>>> It provides simultaneous control, unlike Grub there isn't a notion of
>>> one or the other being "selected".
>>>
>>>        -hpa
>>>

>> Disappointing a little bit, but thanks.
>>
>> Grub2 is far to complicated to embark on a project like this with the
>> current lack of Grub2 docs.
>>
>> Was hoping to be able to create custom menus depending on the console selected.
>>
>> I can just create a single menu and go from there, thanks for your time.
>>

> I personally find the notion of having to control things to be extremely
> clumsy.  That being said, the display stuff in Syslinux does provide the
> ability to squelch certain messages from either the serial port or the
> console, but that does not extend to the menu system, since that would
> mean simultaneously displaying and operating two different menus.

You could create three config files: a serial-port oriented file, a
regular console oriented one and a selector where you'd select if
you're using a serial port or regular console.

A simple extension of HPA's DISPLAY comment is use the above idea
(without a menu at first) and display something like "press <enter> to
continue" to the regular console and "type s<enter> to continue" on
the serial port.

--
-Gene