[syslinux] PXELINUX 4.10-pre*

Shantanu Gadgil shantanugadgil at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 22:33:13 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am seeing very slow startup times for the 4.10-pre14 version.

The 4.04/4.05-pre1 work just fine.

What happens is that there is are extremely large delays (minutes) when the TFTP

server and client are going through all the "not available' files until they
reach the
'pxelinux.cfg/default'  file.

(JFYI, The booting has not reached sending the vmlinuz yet.
Unlike some other folks who are seeing slowness errors in the HTTP part)

This TFTP delay is seen on real hardware (Dell Poweredge 2850) or VMWare ESX
based VMs.
Same for VirtualBox VMs

I am using the e1000 chipset for the LAN for VMWare ESX and VirtualBox.

lspci for the Dell PowerEdge 2850:

# lspci | grep -i eth
06:07.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82541GI Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 05)
07:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82541GI Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 05)
0a:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 04)
0a:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 04)

Regards,
Shantanu