[syslinux] missing syslinux details/docs

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Sun Nov 13 06:27:28 PST 2011

I'm running into some issues with regard to isolinux and memdisk, and am
not sure where to ask/look in the best way possible. These are
DOS-related issues.

So here goes:
* Can MEMDISK map a imagefile (compressed? harddisk?) to more than
(and/or beyond) 4GB of memory? Say you'd have 8/16GBGB and want 4GB
available to the user so might as well use the other 4/12GB for MEMDISK.
Or max 4GB due to 32bit memory/disk limitations in the module (or
processor) ?

* Is there a way to detect a system was booted (in non-emulation mode)
through ELTORITO spec? MDISKCHK can detect the used loader(s), provided
an instance of MEMDISK is found. Booting a CD, then chaining to
floppy/HD from isolinux.cfg means not loading MEMDISK though.
Basicly, I'd like to detect if ELTORITO.SYS should be loaded instead of
awaiting its loading succes/failure.

* How would one create the tiniest uncompressed ISO possible? It seems
like MKISOFS does some padding up to 600KB or so at minimum. My
objective is a tiny ISO placed on diskette to test ELTORITO stuff:
fd0 -> syslinux -> memdisk -> tiny.iso -> isolinux -> chain.c32 fd0 ->
devload eltorito.sys /D:MEMCD

Running into a few more things also but that makes for a (too) long mail
then. Is/was there any available documentation about above mentioned
questions?