[syslinux] Boot device choice

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 20:59:42 PST 2011

On Nov 15, 2011 12:21 AM, "MONDON Daniel" <Daniel.MONDON at lpgsystems.com>
wrote:

> >>On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:13, MONDON Daniel
> <Daniel.MONDON at lpgsystems.com> wrote:
> >> Hi everybody!
> >>
> >> I've got 2 USB key devices seen USB HDD and USB key.
> >>
> >> The bios configuration choice is first to USB key and second USB HDD.
> >>

> >> I am in live CD configuration.
> >>
> >> The boot is starting on the USB key (sdb1) ... and finish on the USB
> >> HDD (sda1).
> >> (The /cdrom is on /dev/sda1)
> >>
> >> What is the correct kernel parameter to pass to finish booting on the
>
> >> syslinux starting device?
> >>
> >> sda1).
> >>

> >> Thanks
> >> Daniel.
> >
> >Hi Daniel,
> >
> >I'm not sure if you ever found a solution to this question.  However, I
> have a feeling that the answers you seek are distribution-specific and
> will >likely be associated with how the initrd operates.
> >
> >--
> >-Gene
>
> Hi Gene!
>
> Thank you for your response! :)
>
> You are right : i found a solution modifying the linux distribution.
> (But i don't know if a kernel  parameter may be another way ...)
>
> Daniel

If the file contents were the same but there were other unique identifiers
(like UUID), it would be a matter of putting that in.  There's no automatic
append for that option at this time.

As I said, it's kernel/initrd specific.  I also intended to imply it may
not yet be capable and you may have to figure out a way.

--
-Gene