[syslinux] extlinux from syslinux 4.04 failed hard after choosing bzImage.

Piotr Karbowski piotr.karbowski at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 07:11:26 PST 2011

Hi,

Today I replaced grub(1) with syslinux on my laptop, after rebooting to
syslinux and selecting kernel I got massive freeze along with colorful
output to screen - http://i.imgur.com/lFjFc.jpg

I think I tried everything, even doing esc and writing after boot:
/bzImage-3.1.0, after enter I had the same freeze with the same screen
artefacts.

How I installed extlinux:
mkdir /boot/extlinux
extlinux --install /boot/extlinux
cp /usr/share/syslinux/menu.c32 /boot/extlinux/

and the config file /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf:
TIMEOUT 30
UI menu.c32

MENU TITLE Boot Menu
MENU COLOR title	1;37;40
MENU COLOR border	30;40
MENU COLOR unsel	37;40

#title Gentoo bzImage-3.1.0
#kernel /bzImage-3.1.0 quiet rootfstype=ext4 luks enc_root=/dev/sda2 lvm
root=/dev/mapper/vg-rootfs
#initrd /initramfs.cpio.gz

LABEL Gentoo bzImage-3.1.0
KERNEL /bzImage-3.1.0
INITRD /initramfs.cpio.gz
APPEND quiet rootfstype=ext4 luks enc_root=/dev/sda2 lvm
root=/dev/mapper/vg-rootfs

LABEL test
	MENU LABEL asdasd
	KERNEL /bzImage
	INITRD /initramfs
	APPEND root=/dev/md2 softraid

I tested extlinux into KVM virtual machine and there everything was ok.
After booting livecd and reinstalling grub's mbr I was able boot it just
fine - so the kernel image is correct.

Any idea what could went wrong? I never saw such issue.

-- Piotr.