[syslinux] extlinux from syslinux 4.04 failed hard after choosing bzImage.

Tyler Durden tylerdu at bounced.me
Sat Nov 19 15:03:59 PST 2011

On 19.11.2011 16:11, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I replaced grub(1) with syslinux on my laptop, after rebooting to
> syslinux and selecting kernel I got massive freeze along with colorful
> output to screen - http://i.imgur.com/lFjFc.jpg
>
> I think I tried everything, even doing esc and writing after boot:
> /bzImage-3.1.0, after enter I had the same freeze with the same screen
> artefacts.

Last week I stumbled across the same bug. Couldn't boot kernel 3.1.0
with exactly the same symptoms as you (screen full of weird characters).
Fortunately, there's a simple workaround I found here:

Just rename the kernel image to something that doesn't end with zero
(e.g. bzImage-3.1) and it will boot just fine.

Somehow extlinux chokes on kernel image names with zero in the last
place. Strange...
--
Tyler