[syslinux] PXELINUX LOCALBOOT 0 hang on Dell Optiplex 990

paul.szabo at sydney.edu.au paul.szabo at sydney.edu.au
Thu Oct 27 02:11:07 PDT 2011

I have been using PXELINUX, with "LOCALBOOT 0" when wanting to boot
from disk, for many years. Now on new Dell Optiplex 990 machines,
PXE boot with "LOCALBOOT 0" hangs after message

Booting from local disk...

without the expected "Exiting PXE" message. I tried "LOCALBOOT -1" and
some other values also, none seemed to work. I tested SYSLINUX 4.04.

Workaround seems to be as per
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/forums/forum/730844/topic/4560984
using:
  kernel chain.c32
  append hd0
instead of LOCALBOOT 0 in the config file.

Please let me know if you would want me to test something. (Please give
detailed instructions, I am not very familiar with SYSLINUX.)

Thanks, Paul

Paul Szabo   psz at maths.usyd.edu.au   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia