[syslinux] Unable to write mbr using syslinux.exe

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Mon Sep 5 09:54:42 PDT 2011

Op 5-9-2011 7:32, asha sathurappan schreef:
> "Accessing physical drive: The request is not supported. Did not successfully update the MBR; continuing..."

either strange system or strange USB flash device. Nowadays most of
these devices have way too much capacity to be treated as floppy emulation.

> I have administrator privilege and I started cmd prompt with "Run as Administrator" option too. I tried the win64 syslinux version. I tried formatting my usb drive. I also tired with different usb flash drives (new ones). I also tried to disable the UAC in windows 7.  I still get the error.

I've succesfully used the HP USB formatting utility under Windows.
[ http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197 ]

Official Syslinux docs might also give some hints:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/HowTos#How_to_Create_a_Bootable_USB:_Windows_XP_and_Vista

(including RMPrepUSB and/or UnetBootin)

best of luck :)