[syslinux] booting a dos floppy from a disk image over pxe

Gert Hulselmans hulselmansgert at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 03:05:28 PDT 2012

2012/4/2 geert geurts <geert at verweggistan.eu>:

> On a live system it works till till the boot of the dos floppy. The
> machine resets.
>
> I believe it has something to do with loading a second memdisk instance
>  for the floppy after the first which was used to boot the harddisk
> image over pxe...
>
> I have tried allot to get this working, even grub-legacy, but I'm out
> of options...
>
> If anyone has a idea, I would be very happy to hear!

Try one of the alternative memory access methods for MEMDISK:

   raw        Use raw access to protected mode memory.

   bigraw   Use raw access to protected mode memory, and leave the
                CPU in "big real" mode afterwards.

   int         Use plain INT 15h access to protected memory.  This assumes
                that anything which hooks INT 15h knows what it is doing.

   safeint   Use INT 15h access to protected memory, but invoke
                INT 15h the way it was *before* MEMDISK was loaded.
                This is the default since version 3.73.

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/MEMDISK#Set_memory_access_method_.28raw.2C_bigraw.2C_int_.2C_safeint.29

'raw' works most of the time when the default 'safeint' fails.

- Gert Hulselmans