[syslinux] help

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 07:06:32 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 18:15, Prof S W Damle <swdamle at bsnl.in> wrote:
> (ii)I have Dual Boot System & IS working OK.
>
>  Microsoft Windows XP
> Microsoft Windows 98SE
>  IS my NORMAL boot loader for your information please.

This part was unclear initially as Syslinux is also a boot loader and
you didn't specify that the "choices" were from another boot loader.

> Kindly let me know additional information needed from me to enable you
> to help me.

Let's see if I can summarize the situation.  You have a USB drive of
sorts with an ISOHYBRID ISOLINUX ISO9660 image file written directly.
You are booting from this drive.  The primary internal boot HDD has
Windows XP and Windows 98 installed, both of which boot properly when
not using the USB drive.  When booting the USB drive then chaining
over to the internal to boot Win98, it does not boot successfully.

Have you tried burning the ISO and booting from the CD/DVD to see if
Win98 dislikes the chain.c32 swap stub?  This would require a change
in the config to read:

LABEL localboot-hd0
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd0 1