[syslinux] memdisk speed diagnostics?

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Wed Apr 4 15:06:33 PDT 2012

Would it be a usefull addition to memdisk's "pause" parameter if it
showed the loading speed for the specified disk image file?

The idea is to verify if a device is really loading an operating
system's data at the intended device/controller/interface/bus (etc)
speed. My own system has a habit of setting usb2.0 interface to
1.1-speeds for example.

With (hopefully) bootable USB3.0 interfaces coming soon, a MEMDISK
combined with a sufficient sized disk image (say 170MB Parted Magic
cd-image file) would show loading speeds between 60MB and 500MB if a
suitable device (USB3.0 Flash Drive or USB3.0-connected SSD) is used.

Unfortunately I'd have no idea how to take compression (gzip/zip) into
account, it can alter numbers significantly.

perhaps something like this:
"loaded/copied/read nnnn MB in tttt seconds (average speed nn MB/s)"

or

"done reading nnnn MB in tttt seconds (average speed nn MB/s)"
"decompressed to mmmm MB in uuuu seconds (average speed mm MB/s)"

Bernd