[syslinux] ramdisk_size=9216 - but why?

W. E. W. Russell wrussell at incnetworks.com
Thu Apr 5 08:30:53 PDT 2012

All,

My name is William Russell and I am setting up a PXE Boot server on RHEL6
to server RHEL5 & 6 network installations.

I'm just trying to document and optimize my setup which I moved from a
RHEL5 server. I noticed that I have "ramdisk_size=9216", but after a
fruitless search online, I still don't understand why we chose 9MB - it
seems so random. Many others have used this as well from my research, but
no one ever states WHY.

My questions are pretty simple:

1. Why would someone choose SPECIFICALLY ramdisk_size=9216 versus the
default of 4096?
2. Is this something that I would need for the RHEL6 installs? Or is this a
legacy thing for the RHEL5 installs?

PS. I'm not having a particular issue, but trying to gain a better
understanding for optimization. Maybe the number I should use should be
bigger or smaller, but I'm hoping the members of this list can help me
decide.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
--