[syslinux] NtfsTest in Syslinux Releases

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 14:34:42 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: syslinux-bounces at zytor.com [mailto:syslinux-bounces at zytor.com] On
Behalf Of Paulo Alcantara
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 17:20
To: For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
Cc: pcacjr at profusion.mobi
Subject: Re: [syslinux] NtfsTest in Syslinux Releases

Hi Shao,

"Shao Miller" <sha0.miller at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, all.
>
> I'm just wondering if it'd be possible to include symbol-stripped versions
> of win32/ntfstest/ntfstest.exe and win64/ntfstest/ntfstest.exe in future
> Syslinux releases.  That way, users could use it while not burdening folks
> just doing a usual build of Syslinux.  If not (scope creep?), no
> problem.

Whas does that test do ? (just out of curiosity)

-----

It exercises the same code as the win installers' NTFS support does; namely,
to find the clusters that a file on an NTFS occupies.

Sometimes users running into BIOS INT 0x13 access problems are stumped as to
why they can't access an NTFS file on a large disk.  Sometimes the answer is
that the file is "too high" on the disk for their BIOS.  NtfsTest.exe should
help to reveal if that's a possibility by revealing the file's physical
location.

To hpa: I'm pretty sure it has the same requirements as the corresponding
installers, so perhaps I'll try to figure out what 'make' invocation is used
for releases and then submit a patch to include these two targets.

- Shao Miller