[syslinux] Illegal Opcode,the 2.

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:30:22 PST 2012

On 12/3/2012 06:04, artreader at gmx.net wrote:
> Hi Shao,

Hello, Fred. :)

>>> To make sure there is no "foreing" code in partition table and MBR,
>>> MBR was nulled with mbr-sys and partition table produced new with fdisk.
>>
>> Meaning the Syslinux MBR code is destroyed, right?
>>

> Meaning the "old" MBR code had been destroyed before the new MBR code was created by syslinux

It doesn't seem like it, looking at your commands, below.  Having no MBR
code could certainly cause a problem! :)

>> But did your "syslinux install" command re-install the Syslinux MBR code
>> again, or not?  What was your command, please?
>>
> syslinux -f -U /dev/sda1 (with hpsa driver)
> syslinux -f -U /dev/cciss/cod0p1 (with cciss driver)

These commands do not install MBR code; only a VBR.

> To complete the description the whole script sequence for hpsa driver:
> fdisk /dev/sda < "w\no\n"
> mbr-sys -z /dev/sda
> parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
> parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary fat16 0 700
> parted -s /dev/sda mkfs 1 fat16
> parted -s /dev/sda set 1 boot on
> partprobe
> syslinux -f -U /dev/sda1
>
> For cciss:
>
> fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d0 < "w\no\n"
> mbr-sys -z /dev/cciss/c0d0
> parted -s /dev/cciss/c0d0 mklabel msdos
> parted -s /dev/cciss/c0d0 mkpart primary fat16 0 700
> parted -s /dev/cciss/c0d0 mkfs 1 fat16
> parted -s /dev/cciss/c0d0 set 1 boot on
> partprobe
> syslinux -f -U /dev/cciss/c0d0p1

I do not see MBR code installed in any of these commands, unless
'mbr-sys' installs MBR code.  Where does this command come from?  I
cannot seem to find it with an Internet search.

- Shao Miller