[syslinux] Illegal Opcode,the 2.

artreader at gmx.net artreader at gmx.net
Wed Dec 5 04:30:24 PST 2012

Hello Shao

thank you for your attention and time.

> It doesn't seem like it, looking at your commands, below.  Having no MBR
> code could certainly cause a problem! :)

your are completely wright!

> >> But did your "syslinux install" command re-install the Syslinux MBR
> code
> >> again, or not?  What was your command, please?
> >>
> > syslinux -f -U /dev/sda1 (with hpsa driver)
> > syslinux -f -U /dev/cciss/cod0p1 (with cciss driver)
> >

> These commands do not install MBR code; only a VBR.

your are completely wright again!

> > To complete the description the whole script sequence for hpsa driver:
> > fdisk /dev/sda < "w\no\n"
> > mbr-sys -z /dev/sda
> > parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
> > parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary fat16 0 700
> > parted -s /dev/sda mkfs 1 fat16
> > parted -s /dev/sda set 1 boot on
> > partprobe
> > syslinux -f -U /dev/sda1
> >
> > For cciss:
> >
> > fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d0 < "w\no\n"
> > mbr-sys -z /dev/cciss/c0d0
> > parted -s /dev/cciss/c0d0 mklabel msdos
> > parted -s /dev/cciss/c0d0 mkpart primary fat16 0 700
> > parted -s /dev/cciss/c0d0 mkfs 1 fat16
> > parted -s /dev/cciss/c0d0 set 1 boot on
> > partprobe
> > syslinux -f -U /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
> >

> I do not see MBR code installed in any of these commands, unless
> 'mbr-sys' installs MBR code.  Where does this command come from?  I
> cannot seem to find it with an Internet search.

It's my fault, pitty on me, mbr-sys is ms-sys (ms-sys.sourceforge.net)
ms-sys -z fills MBR with NULL, but "parted mklabel msdos" produces new MBR, than "parted set 1 boot on" updates MBR with default value for the first partition.
This sequence works on almost every hardware except those with HP RAID controller, where Illegal Opcode came

Fred