[syslinux] Problems with Acer netbook freezing on syslinux bootup

François Laverdure city_design at progression.net
Thu Dec 6 07:50:14 PST 2012

Ok, here we go.
I was trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 (quazal). So I used the recommended
tools specified on the website.
First I tried Universal USB installer, and it failed.
Then I tried LiLi and the same thing happened.
Then I tried unetbootin, similar results.
So, I thought it might be a Ubuntu issue, so I tried them all again with
Puppy Linux (Precise) and with PeppermintOS 3.
They all failed, so it couldn't be the OS' fault. But while trying this,
I noticed that all the installers didn't use the same version of
Syslinux. So I came to the conclusion that syslinux must be packaged
inside the installer itself. When I looked at the logs closely, I
discovered it was true, so I pushed on trying to figure it out.
So I got version 4.06 of syslinux and proceeded to re-write the MBR by
hand. I thought making it work in stupid mode would help... but it didn't.
Then I thought about one of the installers which was still using version
4.04 and was failing. I knew the computer would work with some version
of Syslinux since I had already installed Ubuntu on it using the same
method.
So, I decided to try and figure out down to which version the boot
loader would start working. So I got version 4.03 from the repository. I
redid the MBR using it. The only thing I did different is running it in
stupid mode. So I sent it using the -mafs option (instead of only -maf)
and it worked. I'm pretty sure the -s mode wasn't necessary.

I hope this clarifies the method a bit for you...

François