[syslinux] Syslinux 5 Path Option.

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 02:15:15 PST 2012

> But with the path being hard coded in the .c32 files, and ldd and
> readelf reporting this regardless of copying the files in the same
> directory.

I shall say that from your emails, my impression is that you are not
reading the whole email thread about Syslinux 5.00 *.c32 dependencies
(that you were pointed to already more than once) nor the relevant
content of syslinux.txt, which mentions the PATH directive and PATH
rules. This is my impression, but I could be wrong.

> Now see that, but don't see how it is going to override the
> hardcoded path that exists in the .c32 files.

Maybe 5.00 has bugs. But if you don't use the PATH directive and test
it with all the c32 dependencies and report back, then how the
developers would know?

> At present, the 4.06 version works just fine as has many versions
> since I took over the g4l project back in 2004. I've generally tried
> to keep it running the latest released version of the syslinux as I
> add new kernels as they come out as well. In the past, it has just
> been copying the new files to the isolinux directory and building a
> new image.

Well, reading the Syslinux 5.00 announcement email, you would see
that there is no new feature or any change that would affect the
addition of new kernels to g4l. Version 4.06 was released less than 2
months ago and it should work for g4l.

But, since we are talking about it already, let's mention some
potential improvements to your syslinux-related files, without making
this a g4l issue.

So, in g4l,

1_ You may want to delete "display.c32", "isolinux.cfgsav" and
"isolinux.cfg". After deleting "isolinux.cfg", your "syslinux.cfg"
file will be used instead of "isolinux.cfg" in your ISOLINUX ISO
image, and since they have the same content, you don't need
"isolinux.cfg".

2_ In "syslinux.cfg", in your "Failsafe" entry,

replace these 2 lines:
COM32 vesamenu.c32
APPEND failsafe.cfg

with only this 1 line:
CONFIG failsafe.cfg

3_ In "failsafe.cfg", in your "Failsafe" entry, change

from:
COM32 vesamenu.c32
APPEND syslinux.cfg

to:
CONFIG syslinux.cfg

(and you might want to change the name of that label entry too)

and also change your first line

from:
DEFAULT vesamenu.c32

to:
DEFAULT menu.c32

since you are calling this a "failsafe" menu.

By making those adjustments, updating g4l to use Syslinux 5.00 should
be possible. But even if you don't want to update to 5.00 (staying
with 4.06 is perfectly fine), I would recommend those minor changes
anyway.

Best Regards,
Ady.