[syslinux] Syslinux 5 Path Option.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Tue Dec 11 11:27:56 PST 2012

On 11 Dec 2012 at 13:31, Shao Miller wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:31:39 -0500
From:           	Shao Miller <sha0.miller at gmail.com>
To:             	"Michael D. Setzer II"
<mikes at kuentos.guam.net>
Copies to:      	Syslinux at zytor.com
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Syslinux 5 Path Option.

> On 12/11/2012 06:05, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:

> >> So the answer to the second part is basically: -l
> >> -allow-leading-dots -V <volname> -J -R
> >>
> >> Have you tried without these options?
> >
> > To tell the truth, I've only changed the script that builds the iso
> > image with the -V volname option since the previous maintainers
> > setup in 2004 with version 0.14 of G4L, and I am not on version
> > 0.44. Added the -V option so it would be able to quickly tell what
> > version and alpha was on the cd I was using. Just create 0.44 alpha
> > 21 with the new 3.7 kernel added as an option.
> >

> I wasn't really trying to draw attention to the '-V <volname>' option.
> The documentation suggests that -l -J -R are supported.  I don't see
> any mention of -allow-leading-dots or -V.
>
> However, since things didn't seem to be working for you with the
> options you've used, I thought it might be worth a try more closely
> resembling the sample 'mkisofs' invocation that's in doc/isolinux.txt,
> in case of regression.  I assume that Syslinux 5.00's ISOLINUX was
> tested, and further assume that it was tested with something akin to
> that sample invocation.
>
> > Don't see why it would work fine with all the previous versions back
> > to 2004, but have issues with 5.00.
>
> 5.00 has a lot of changes.  When using undocumented options, if they
> work, that's lucky.  For example, a long-standing bug could let
> certain options work until the bug is fixed and the options no longer
> work.
>
> In your case, your problem might not have anything to do with the
> 'mkisofs' options, but perhaps it's clear why it might be worth a
> test.
>
> On 12/11/2012 09:12, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > Have done some testing with a build tree were I replaced the 4.06
> > with the 5.00 files and all the c32 it needed.
> >
> > First time, it gave a message that ldlinux.c32 was missing, so
> > added that to the directory.
> >

> I'm confused.  If ldlinux.c32 was missing, then "all the c32 it
> needed" were _not_ present.
>
> > Then it was able to display the menu, and it works mostly.
>
> Please wait a minute...  What has changed between now and your
> previous tests?  In your previous tests, you had said:
>
> On 12/11/2012 03:17, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > With the current build all the syslinux files and .c32 files are
> > placed in a directory called isolinux that becomes the root
> > directory of the cd.  So, all files are together with no paths.

When I said "and .c32 files" I was referring to all the .c32 files that
had been listed by either ldd or readelf programs or directly
mentioned in the cfg file. None of them showed the ldlinux.c32
file, so I had not placed it in the directory.  The size of all the files
is almost 3 times the size of the 4.06 files. 1708440 for 5.00 and
584008 for 4.06.

> What has changed so that it now "works mostly"?

The other option that made it work better was changing the
running of the other scripts to use CONFIG failsafe.cfg.

The kernels now seem to load fine, but the hdt doesn't find the
pci.ids file since it complains that it is not there, but the same
option works with 4.06.

The reboot option sometimes works with hdt, but sometimes it
does. The exit option never lets it go back to the menu.

At the moment, I am building cd images, and testing them via
virtual box. Will have to see it it acts the same when booting via a
physical cd.

> On 12/11/2012 09:12, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > hdt runs fine except it doesn't seem to find the pci.ids file as it
> > works using 4.06. It also works if I reboot to exit hdt, but if I
> > exit it will not go back to the menu. Gives message Failed to load
> > COM32 file vesamenu.c32
>
> If you could provide the relevant portions of a 'find' directory
> listing, that might help with troubleshooting this issue.
>
> Also worth noting: For best results, always use .c32 modules from the
> same Syslinux version as is being booted.  Or better yet, from the
> same build tree.  For example, do not use a Syslinux 4.06 hdt.c32 with
> ISOLINUX 5.00.
>
> - Shao Miller

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        13424255.874595   |   EINSTEIN     9314873.279852
ROSETTA      5547955.442642   |   ABC         15585703.182952