[syslinux] Syslinux 5 (i)pxelinux.0 unnecessary PATH requests

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Dec 12 08:35:21 PST 2012

Am 12.12.2012 16:43, schrieb Shao Miller:
> On 12/12/2012 07:54, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Am 11.12.2012 19:50, schrieb Shao Miller:
>>> Are you using DHCP option 210?  It is documented in doc/pxelinux.txt and
>>> is related to where PXELINUX goes looking for things.  Yes, PATH cannot
>>> be processed until ldlinux.c32 is fetched, but option 210 is processed
>>> before.  - Shao
>>
>> As Arends also pointed out, this is not very helpful.
>>
>> I have setups where I set 210 to the root, and set filename to
>> /path/to/pxelinux.0. A better alternative would be to look in the
>> dirname of the boot filename first.
>
> That is exactly what doc/pxelinux.txt documents that PXELINUX does
> _without_ option 210.  You are _overriding_ "the dirname of the boot
> filename" by using 210.  - Shao

By using 210, I am setting the root path of _everything_, i.e., what '/'
refers to. I cannot use .. or / to escape this path. If syslinux looks
for its .c32 in this directory, then I have to put all .c32 files at the
root.

By using the DHCP filename option, I search for pxelinux.0 in a
subdirectory. What I would suspect to happen (and what happened until
now??) is that syslinux looks for its external files in the same directory:

210 = /some/dir
filename = /other/dir/pxelinux.0

-> ldlinux.c32 = /some/dir/other/dir/ldlinux.c32

Does that make any sense?