[syslinux] Upgraded to Syslinux 5.00 - Failed to load ldlinux.c32

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 16 09:17:56 PST 2012

> 3) Updated extlinux using
>
>   extlinux --update /boot/extlinux
>
> (I also tried "extlinux --install")
>
> 4) Removed everything in /boot/extlinux excluding "extlinux.conf" and
> "ldlinux.sys".
>
> 5) Copied *.c32 from /ush/share/syslinux to /boot/extlinux:

I don't know if there are additional problems, but the order of those
steps might be problematic. Your step #4 (which, for 5.00+, should be
ldlinux.sys, ldlinux.c32 and the relevant config file) should be
performed before your step #3, so in your step #5 you should NOT be
replacing files (only re-adding the same files with their new
versions; not replacing ldlinux.* which were "installed" already).

In other words, when you perform "extlinux --install", 2 files are
"installed" with Syslinux 5.00: ldlinux.sys AND ldlinux.c32. Then add
all the lib*.c32 files and all the other relevant *.c32 files you
were using before, but updated to 5.00.

As said, there may be other issues to consider (raid for example),
but I would first check this simple change in the order of the steps.

HTH,
Ady.