[syslinux] ldlinux.c32 not found in extlinux path in 5.00

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 19 05:53:48 PST 2012

> Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Since the error message is about ldlinux.c32 not being found, this
> > should indicate that ldlinux.sys is found correctly. Thus, the
> > problem seems to be related to the paths where ldlinux.sys expects to
> > find ldlinux.c32.
>
> OK, we're about talking about Syslinux 5.00x. I looked at the wrong
> source file in the first place -- the correct one is actually
> core/elflink/load_env32.c.
>
> The only possible paths (hard-coded in search_directories string array)
> that ldlinux.c32 could be found are "/boot/isolinux", "/isolinux",
> "/boot/syslinux", "/syslinux" and "/".

I just tested a simple (not raid) install using EXTLINUX on an ext3
volume and the "/boot/extlinux/" path with extlinux.conf using
Syslinux 5.00. Indeed the boot process fails with the same
"ldlinux.c32 not found" problem (while the installation command
itself works correctly, adding ldlinux.sys and ldlinux.c32 to the
specified path).

In theory, it should be possible to test the same situation using
syslinux-nomtools, but in 5.00 it can't be used on ext3 volumes for
some reason.

So adding "/[boot/]extlinux/" as supported installation path is
necessary (unless HPA decided to drop support for the whole
extlinux[.conf] paths and file variants?).