[syslinux] A Couple Questions About a New Project

Mr Roboto mr-roboto at linuxmail.org
Thu Dec 27 07:41:58 PST 2012

My compliments on the release of syslinux-5.0 and happy holidays to the
entire Syslinux team.  I have a longer message in me.  Lots of
curiousity about the direction of the project, but that will have to
wait until I finish my first 5.0 project (*not* my first Syslinux
project), which just happens to touch past problems: drive
enumeration.

This particular effort is on a USB flash drive, with two partitions:  an
NTFS pasrtition and an ext2 partition.  /boot/syslinux lives on the
[first] NTFS partition with a bunch of other files, while the other
partition contains a live Linux system.

I need help translating this stanza (from a working isolinux.cfg) to
access the vmlinuz on ext2 partition:

KERNEL /pclos2/vmlinuz
APPEND livecd=/pclos2/livecd initrd=/pclos2/initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us vmalloc=256M nokmsboot home=usb splash=no

The problem is how one references sub-directories on a different
partition.

One more thing: the DVD that uses the above stanza has another stanza
that boots the C: drive, which won't work from a Syslinux flash drive.
My goal is to simply transfer control to the bootable partition of the
1st hard drive:

LABEL bootc
MENU LABEL ^Boot from C:
MENU DEFAULT
TEXT HELP
Boot the default OS on the C: drive....
ENDTEXT
KERNEL /boot/syslinux/chain.c32
APPEND hd0 0

These are the only operational issues with Syslinux I can recall, after
several years of using the system.

Thanks in advance for your attention and my best regards during the
holiday season.