[syslinux] PXELINUX 4.10-pre17 and newer Dell OptiPlex/Latitude/Precision

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 19:13:45 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 19:42, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 12/31/2011 06:57 AM, Gene Cumm wrote:
>> Shantanu, let's continue here.
>>
>> You first noticed this on a Dell OptiPlex 755.  I think it covers all Dell
>> OptiPlex/Latitude/Precision models that are PCIe based with Intel LoM (LAN
>> on motherboard) utilizing the BIOS PXE OROM, based on the similarity of
>> these systems.  The symptoms are that PXELINUX requests pxelinux.cfg/<UUID>
>> by TFTP (but it might not strictly be a TFTP issue) when not on the same
>> subnet, responses are sent back but PXELINUX doesn't receive these
>> packets.  PXELINUX also doesn't respond to ICMP echo (ping) or ARP requests
>> but repeatedly sends ARP requests for the gateway, as if it doesn't receive
>> the replies.  When on the same subnet, Shantanu reports that it seems to
>> hang on the request of pxelinux.cfg/default.
>>
>> I also tried 4.10-pre13 to no avail.
>>
>> This makes me think it goes deaf/ignorant for some reason.  My next tests
>> are TFTP on same subnet, HTTP on same and different subnets then a debug
>> build with the serial port.
>>

> OK, this is very interesting... in particular this seems like something
> that should be worth debugging.  I'm wondering if we're doing the right
> thing for the receive; in particular, what are the flags settings for
> these?  I'm wondering if we need to poll but are expecting interrupts,
> or vice versa...

Select lines from the startup console output:

!PXE entry point found (we hope) at 8C11:0106 A
UNDI code segment at 8C11 len 4F70
UNDI code segment at 85D7 len 63A0
UNDI: baseio 5040 int 5 MTU 1500 type 1 "DIX+802.3" flags 0xdc1b
UNDI: IRQ 5(0x0d): 7fd5:50ba -> 0000:8dc9

The flags on my VM were 0xcc1b (which is only a difference of the
toggling of the PXE_UNDI_IFACE_FLAG_IRQ bit).

--
-Gene