[syslinux] some issues with modules/syslinux

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Mon Jan 16 10:30:01 PST 2012

Op 16-1-2012 2:52, H. Peter Anvin schreef:

> ifmemdsk isn't a COM32 module, it's a DOS program.

You already noticed it's a c32 module, I'll wait for it in another
Syslinux prerelease (or final 4.10, if any).

> The problem is that by the time you have loaded the module you're
> already out of memroy.  The fallback pretty much is the CLI.  You're
> talking about memory sizes that hasn't been seen on mainstream hardware
> for 20 years.

about the same effect. C32 modules might simply refuse to load and end
up with an error message on screen, thus fallback. The UI directive
seems to lack this automatic fallback. At least, last I see is the
Isolinux startup debug messages, then a hang.
It really is no big deal if this issue stays alive, it's just a corner
case that in some extreme situations will have to be considered.

> Syslinux opens the A20 gate and leaves it open.  MEMDISK has to flip it
> as necessary to access high memory, depending on the exact mode the
> machine is in.

Thanks for the fast feedback.

Bernd