[syslinux] some issues with modules/syslinux

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Mon Jan 16 10:38:53 PST 2012

Op 16-1-2012 12:29, Paul Bolle schreef:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 00:28 +0100, Bernd Blaauw wrote:
>> * is there a working version of memdisk.c32 [http://reboot.pro/14468/] ?
> When I tried to look at it I encountered an error page (stating that I
> "do not have permission to view this attachment"). Are you allowed and
> able to upload that file (and, preferably, its source) somewhere more
> public?

You'll likely either have to register at the website (yes, annoying to
sign up to even more websites and mailing lists, yet another account to
manage..) before you can download the file.

Your other option is contacting Shao Miller, he modified the normal
MEMDISK in an alternative MEMDISK.C32 that seems to load a disk image
file into system memory without booting it straight away.

Last option is to send it indeed privately but that's violating Syslinux
license, technically. Let me know what you prefer. Don't think sources
were offered from that website.

> I only recall running into that problem by loading pre 4.xx modules (ie,
> 3.86 or earlier) with 4.xx+ syslinux (see
> http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Modules for some
> background).

I experience (VESA)MENU.C32 and CHAIN.C32 often failing if they're not
from the exact same (pre)release as the LDLINUX.SYS / ISOLINUX.BIN , all
in 4.xx series. I've learned my lesson here, by now.

Bernd