[syslinux] booting FreeDOS ISO image using syslinux hangs

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 07:34:25 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Martin T <m4rtntns at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to boot FreeDOS ISO image from USB memory stick using
> syslinux. I have done following:

> root at debian64:~# /home/martin/syslinux-4.05/linux/syslinux -v
> /home/martin/syslinux-4.05/linux/syslinux 4.05  Copyright 1994-2011 H.
> Peter Anvin et al

> 5) installed syslinux to /dev/sdb1:
>
> root at debian64:~# /home/martin/syslinux-4.05/linux/syslinux -i /dev/sdb1
> root at debian64:~#
>
> 6) mounted /dev/sdb1 to /media/usb and copied iso
> image(http://www.freedos.org/download/download/fd11src.iso), memdisk
> image and created syslinux.cfg:
>
> root at debian64:~# cp freedos.iso
> /home/martin/syslinux-4.05/memdisk/memdisk /media/usb
> root at debian64:~# printf 'LABEL FreeDOS\nLINUX memdisk\nINITRD
> freedos.iso\nAPPEND iso\n' > /media/usb/syslinux.cfg
> root at debian64:~# cat /media/usb/syslinux.cfg
> LABEL FreeDOS
> LINUX memdisk
> INITRD freedos.iso
> APPEND iso

Where's your DEFAULT or UI directive?

> Now if I boot my machine from USB memory stick, then for some reason
> syslinux.cfg file is not handled properly and I need to manually
> specify boot command:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/jFAFg.jpg

Add 'DEFAULT FreeDOS' (minus the quotes; I prefer at the top) like below.

DEFAULT freedos

LABEL freedos
MENU LABEL FreeDOS
LINUX memdisk
INITRD freedos.iso
APPEND iso

-OR-

DEFAULT freedos

LABEL freedos
MENU LABEL FreeDOS
LINUX memdisk
APPEND iso initrd=freedos.iso

> However, the main problem is that booting hangs during the memdisk boot:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/sMGA7.jpg

Without the ISO parameter, this likely to fail.

> Even Ctrl+Alt+Delete key combination does not reset the machine and I
> need to use the reset button on the motherboard.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Or any ideas why memdisk loading hangs? If
> any additional information is needed, then feel free to ask!

See above.

> regards,
> martin

Hope this helps.