[syslinux] booting FreeDOS ISO image using syslinux hangs

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 10:21:32 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Ady Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> 1) I created a partition to my 2GB memory stick:
>>
>> Disk /dev/sdb: 2013 MB, 2013265920 bytes
>> 62 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1022 cylinders, total 3932160 sectors
>
>   Take note of those values:
>
>   c=1022 h=62 s=62

No issue there.  They may seem unusual but that may be the "natural"
geometry that plays nicely with BIOSs due to how USB autodetection
works.  I've had issues trying to manually assign a geometry with some
systems.

>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>> /dev/sdb1 * 62 3928567 1964253 6 FAT16
>
>   Your ID is for FAT16 with partition size of about 2GB (too big for normal use).

It's _just_ under the limits.  If it was over about 2GiB as FAT16,
that would likely cause issues.  In fact, some systems refuse FAT32
while others refuse FAT16.

--
-Gene