[syslinux] git tree magic forest

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Jul 6 07:23:35 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 01:26:40PM +0100, Matt Fleming wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 13:01 +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 05:12:00AM +0200, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> > >
> > > Perhaps you try Matt Flemings 5.00-pre8 version:
> > >
> > >         git://git.zytor.com/users/mfleming/syslinux.git
> > >

> > > It solved all my problems compiling and running syslinux 5.00.
> >

> > I have the feeling that I'm lost in the magic forest of git trees.
> >
> > So now I need some judgement where I am.
> >
> > This is what I did:
> >
> >   git checkout master # starting point is my clone of hpa's git tree
> >   git remote add mfleming git://git.zytor.com/users/mfleming/syslinux.git
> >   git branch --remote  # no mfleming branch visible
> >   git pull   # should probably have been  `git fetch`
> >   git branch --remote  # yes, now I have mfleming branches visible
> >   git branch mfleming mfleming/master  # "activate"
>
> This should have been,
>
> 	git branch mfleming mfleming/elflink
>
> All the 5.0 work is on my elflink branch.

Ah, thanks.
Yes, now I have expect output from  `git log` and `git diff`

This is what I did:

  git checkout master   # go to start
  git branch  # get overview of my branches
  git branch -d mfleming  # cleanup the wrongly activated branch
  man git-branch
  git branch mflemingsyslinux5 mfleming/elflink # "activate"
  git checkout mflemingsyslinux5   # "enter"
  git log | head -n 3
  git diff master | head -n 18   # too much differences
  git diff elflink | head -n 18  # yes, that looks good

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.