[syslinux] Support for 4kb disks

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:29:10 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Frediano Ziglio
<frediano.ziglio at citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I'm trying to get syslinux (extlinux actually) work with 4kb disks.

You were right.  SYSLINUX.  extlinux is just the installer (as of
v4.00).  Could you be more precise on what version and the source of
the binaries (ie, did you use the ones in the binary/source archive
without building)?  4.05 might support this.

> I got a bios with 4kb support but seems that extlinux does not work at
> all. In extlinux/main.c SECTOR_SIZE and SECTOR_SHIFT are constants to
> 512 bytes and also there are a lot of checks in different places (like
> in syslinux_check_bootsect).
>
> Currently I'm trying it to work using GPT and an ext3 partition.
>
> Anybody is working on similar issue or has some advice?
>
> Is there a way to emulate 4kb bios using any virtual environment?

Do you mean using a VM of sorts or something else?

--
-Gene