[syslinux] XFS filesystem driver's status

Paulo Alcantara pcacjr at zytor.com
Mon Jul 23 08:45:14 PDT 2012

Hi,

Since XFS filesystem driver is still under development but we've got it in an
usuable state, I would like you (XFS users or even non-XFS ones) to test this
implementation, please.

It's available on my tree:

git://zytor.com/users/pcacjr/syslinux.git (branch: xfs)

What's currently missing on the implementation AFAIK is handling node
directories, file inodes where their dinode's formats are different of
XFS_DINODE_FMT_EXTENTS "extents", and listing directory entries from node
directories.

Just some advices before trying it out:

     - Make sure you're using mbr/mbr.bin from my tree, since it has been hacked
       up to be able to load Syslinux boot sector into 0x7c00 from XFS
       filesystems.
     - Make sure that your partition (that has been formated with XFS
       filesystem) has a 4 KiB filesystem block size, because the Syslinux boot
       sector is supposed to be at 0x800 (4th sector from partition starting
       sector), otherwise it won't certainly work properly.
     - It's worth noting that you _should_ use a testing partition instead of
       your personal one, that's why I'm not sure if this driver will damage
       your filesystem.

To install Syslinux in your XFS filesystem, use the EXTLINUX installer. Besides,
do not forget to copy mbr/mbr.bin from my tree to your HDD, otherwise it won't
be able to load Syslinux bootsector from your XFS filesystem.

		Paulo