[syslinux] Syslinux 5.00-pre6: call it a beta

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Jul 25 07:27:03 PDT 2012

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012, Helmut Hullen wrote:

> Du meintest am 04.07.12:
>
>>> If you're helping to debug something it would be better to use my
>>> tree, but as far as mirroring is concerned, I would stick with
>>> Peter's tree because the fixes *will* end up in his eventually.
>
>> Well, what I need is a distribution tarball with premade binaries and
>> com32 modules because it is recommended for distributors to not
>> recompile with the distribution toolchain. (I am packaging for RHEL)
>
> More seriously: H. Peter asks wether the "pre6" runs without problems,
> and it doesn't. Matt's "pre8" seems to run well.

When can we expect a new 5.00 pre-release from hpa to test ?

> You shouldn't make a *.rpm which contains a "prexyz" version, but you
> can help testing.

Let me decide what I should and should not do. My tests include the
packaging using upstream-provided binaries (build with the toolchain
that is recommened). And I distribute these test RPMs in a test-repository
for RPMforge/Repoforge users.

As part of this I also use these RPMs on provisioning systems by replacing
the previous package with this one.

Let me also clarify that thanks to packages, you are certain that the
com32 modules and the syslinux binaries are all compatible, which for
syslinux is pretty important.

And since this is RHEL3, RHEL4, RHEL5 and RHEL6, you may not want to use
the toolchains that are shipped with the distribution anyway...