[syslinux] Limiting memory used by syslinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Jun 2 08:11:19 PDT 2012

On 06/01/2012 12:07 PM, jochen.desmet at emc.com wrote:
> (Hope this comes through all right ; this is being sent through Outlook
>  and I'm not sure I got it to use the right format)
>
> Hi,
>
> We're using syslinux on some of our servers.  These servers have memory
> persistence, i.e. the contents of some of the memory is preserved over a
> warm reboot.
>
> The problem we're having is that syslinux is overwriting some of that
> memory (specifically, at first glance it looks like the com32 stack). Is
> there a way to tell syslinux to not use memory above a certain address ?
>
> We're currently using syslinux 3.82 which is the one that comes with SLES 11.

There isn't in the stock syslinux, but it wouldn't be hard to do; there
is actually a hard-coded limit of 0xfff00000 already (in two places, you
probably need to grep for it.)  The problem with making this
configurable is that it would have to happen very early on, before a lot
of the configuration information is available.