[syslinux] Problem with buggy Dell Latitude BIOS

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Thu Jun 14 03:07:17 PDT 2012

Hello List,

the most recent BIOS (A13) for the Dell Latitude E6520 has problems -
gpxelinux (4.05) cannot load larger initrd (or memdisk images) with this
BIOS and fails with "Not enough memory to load specified image". This
results in a few of our boot images (most importantly the Backup Rescue
image (and parted magix pxe version)) failing.

A12 BIOS works okay. So at the moment we stay at A12.

1) Can this problem be worked around somehow? I have created sysdumps
(with sysdump.c32) of both BIOS states but can't read/understand the
output.
2) Is it worth the trouble of reporting this to Dell? If yes, do they have
a contact for this kind of bugs? I doubt regular Dell support is able to
handle these kinds of problem.

Best Regards
        Heiko Helmle