[syslinux] Problem with buggy Dell Latitude BIOS

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Fri Jun 15 07:41:22 PDT 2012

> > A12 BIOS works okay. So at the moment we stay at A12.
> >
> > 1) Can this problem be worked around somehow? I have created sysdumps
> > (with sysdump.c32) of both BIOS states but can't read/understand the
> > output.
>
> It's pretty easy: http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Linux.c32

Thanks - that worked - Nevertheless I'd probably won't roll A13 out - it
breaks lots of stuff that probably doesn't use linux.c32 yet. It's not
worth the trouble.

> > 2) Is it worth the trouble of reporting this to Dell? If yes, do they
have
> > a contact for this kind of bugs? I doubt regular Dell support is able
> > handle these kinds of problem.
>
> Possibly but I'd lean towards no.  It's what's sometimes referred to
> as a "memory hole", a range of memory allocated for other uses before
> SYSLINUX can use it.

The question I'd like to ask them is, why do they change memory hole
locations between BIOS revisions - and additionally in a way that breaks
syslinux...

Best Regards
        Heiko Helmle