[syslinux] unable to install Debian using syslinux 4.05

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Jun 18 13:06:56 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 02:55:29PM +0300, Martin T wrote:
> 2012/6/17 Vanush Paturyan <misha at cs.nuim.ie>:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > although this is not a syslinux issue, I'll answer on-the-list (moderators
> > can advice on feasibility of continuing this discussion here).

My point of view is that the syslinux mailinglist moderates it self.

The basic rule is: Live and let live.

> > On 17 Jun 2012, at 02:16, Martin T wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to install debian-6.0.5-amd64-CD-1.iso from USB
> >> memory-stick. The problem is, that Debian-Installer is not able to
> >> "Detect and mount CD-ROM" during the installation process. The USB
> >> memory-stick is a 2GB model containing MBR and FAT32 file system:
> >>

> > Have you followed the http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/ch04s03.html,
> > or just put an .iso image on the USB disk, hoping that Debian installer will
> > mount it using loop device and load files out of there? As far as I know that
> > won't work, you need to copy some files from within the CD-ROM and place them
> > on the USB disk.
>
> Gene,
>
> I tried to mount UFB to another directory and then tried to loop-mount
> the .iso file, but at least with BusyBox mount utility this did not
> work: goo.gl/v2OgU
> That is the reason I made a "debian-6.0.5-amd64-CD-1.iso_content"
> directory to the UFB root in my working PC containing all the files in
> debian-6.0.5-amd64-CD-1.iso image. And yes, I mounted this
> "debian-6.0.5-amd64-CD-1.iso_content" to /cdrom directory, but I still
> wasn't able to pass the "Load installer components from CD" step.
> I haven't tried with "Network install" image because I would prefer
> the full CD. I have successfully booted Ubuntu in a way described in
> my first post. Are there distributions which are problematic when it
> comes to booting from flash-drive?
>

> Misha,
>
> I just put the .iso image to the flash-drive as I have done with other
> distributions before(Ubuntu, BackTrack Linux). They worked fine, but
> maybe their installers are more capable than Debian-Installer? Or
> maybe they work bit differently because at least both Ubuntu and
> BackTrack Linux installation images are able to work in "Live-CD" mode
> as well while the Debian one is not?
>

> Are there any SYSLINUX configuration options I might try?

Martin, Please avoid any short cuts at this moment.
Take your time to explore the high tech stuff that you what to modify.

Visit http://www.debian.org/ and 'click "Getting Debian"'
Discover at http://www.debian.org/distrib/  that a netinst iso and
only a netinst iso can be booted from USB. ( regular iso's don't )

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.