[syslinux] Password protecting menu entries using simple menu

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 05:34:34 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Baphomet <baphomet777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gents,
>
> I've come across an issue using 4.0.5 -- not sure what I'm doing wrong
> here, but I've tried a hundred different ways to password protect an entry
> in one of my pxe menus, but every time I invoke the entry in the menu, it
> prompts for the password (I've tried using MENU PASSWD xxxx and tried it
> without, supplying a MASTER PASSWD and a blank MENU PASSWD after both a
> BEGIN MENU and LABEL) and my entry kicks me back to the same menu without
> executing the submenu. Strange thing is, if I remove the password,
> everything works fine. I could swear this worked pre-4.x...
>
> Any thoughts?

Sounds like the password is refused.  What password format did you
use?  What character set is the password composed of?  Did you stick
to a strictly 8-bit character set?  What locale is your keyboard and
console?  Tried TABbing on an entry then typing your password to
verify that it's translated appropriately?

Even an 8-bit character set may be too big and it may be restricted
such that the upper most bit of each character must be 0.

--
-Gene