[syslinux] How to recognize an MBR suitable for isohybrid --mac ?

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Jun 22 12:40:27 PDT 2012

Hi,

> Would it be possible to create such a concept isohybrid ISO that's slightly
> smaller,

If i had any idea how the boot mechanisms of the Fedora-LiveCD work ... {:)

I just write some entries into various partition maps: MBR, APM, GPT,
and hope that they direct the various boot firmware to suitable files
in the image.
For MBR it seems to work. But that's just the normal isohybrid for PC-BIOS.
I'd need to see whether it works for (Intel ?) Macs.

The Fedora-LiveCD image was proposed to me by Matthew Garrett at
  http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/11285.html
I do not know of any other which has the necessary content to which i could
let point the partitions.

> My apologies for not being any help on your original question,

Probably only hpa can decide what APM-capable isohybrid MBRs shall bear
as landing pad for APM Block0, or how to recognize them by other means.

I feel inapt to judge whether the found bytes are pointless x86 code
which i may overwrite by the APM data, which are pointless too, if executed
as x86 code.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas