[syslinux] how to create bootable FreeDOS HDD or USB flash drive?

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 01:54:01 PDT 2012

> Looks like this was the problem. I recreated raw 10MB file
> with dd(1) and readded partitions to partition table with fdisk.
> Results are following:
>
> root at debian64:~# fdisk -lu 10MB
> You must set cylinders.
> You can do this from the extra functions menu.
>
> Disk 10MB: 0 MB, 0 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 0 cylinders, total 0 sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x4fe96db2
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> 10MB1 * 63 10442249 5221093+ 6 FAT16
> root at debian64:~#
>

> All the other steps were exactly identical as in my first post.

You have "zero" cylinders (which _might_ be corrected when you dd a different MBR anyway, but you should re-check it).

> Should one add syslinux.cfg to the root of the "10MB1"? How should the
> configuration file look like for DOS? Or is it possible to boot DOS
> using syslinux?

Although it is possible to boot FreeDOS with SYSLINUX (see the wiki), I don't see the need in this case.

Suggestion: Create a "normal" HDD image and use "sys" from a FreeDOS floppy or from a newer FreeDOS ISO image. Then (and only then) copy the files you need/want.

HTH.