[syslinux] Syslinux 5.00-pre6: call it a beta

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 29 09:28:03 PDT 2012

On 06/29/2012 07:54 AM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 29.06.2012 16:51, schrieb H. Peter Anvin:
>> I think the Syslinux 5.00 branch is now at the point where I believe it
>> it is feature complete and should be able to replace the main Syslinux
>> branch.
>>
>> As such, it is important that we get wider testing, and especially that
>> people let us know if and where it breaks.  As of right now, there
>> aren't any known bugs...
>>
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/5.00/syslinux-5.00-pre6.tar.xz
>>

>>     -hpa
>
> Is there a summary of important changes and new features somewhere?

Not yet.  *In theory* it should look the same from a user perspective,
but the kernel loader is now modern (the old linux.c32 is now the *only*
loader).  One major difference that you might notice is that the console
stays in graphics mode longer after vesamenu has been used; we might
switch to the graphics console as the only console.

For now, I am mostly concerned about avoiding regressions, though.