[syslinux] multiple ".." support

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 29 11:48:40 PDT 2012

> Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:48:35 +0200
> Subject: Re: [syslinux] multiple ".." support
>

> > > OK, it's not 100% clear to me what you had expected from this test case,
>
> Simple. Start with:
>
> /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
>
> containing:
>
> CONFIG <some/new/cfg/file/in/some/location/newcfg.cfg>
> APPEND ../../
>
> which means going up 2 directory levels from "/boot/syslinux/" to "/".
>
> But the new resulting working directory is:
>
> /boot/
>
> instead of being:
>
> /
>
> as it was intended with the above APPEND command.
>
> If the APPEND command is:
>
> APPEND ../../otherdir/
>
> (meaning it contains multiple "../" but it does NOT end with "../")
>
> then the new resulting working directory is correct.
>
> Of course these paths are just simple examples.
>
> When using ISOLINUX all variants work correctly, but not with SYSLINUX.
>
> If it is still not clear enough, please let me know.
>

> > OK, try 4.06-pre9.
>

> With 4.06-pre9 I tried using the win32 SYSLINUX installer:
>
> syslinux.exe -i -d \boot\syslinux\ a:
>
> and I received an error:
>
> invalid media signature (not an FAT/NTFS volume?)
>
> Using the exact same method with v.4.06-pre7 the installer works (but of course the CONFIG+APPEND issue is still present in 4.06-pre7).
>
> Should I try the linux-based SYSLINUX installer anyway? Is there any additional info you need?
>
> TIA.

HPA,

The linux-based SYSLINUX installer successfully installed ldlinux.sys v.4.06-pre9 on the floppy. Unfortunately, the paths containing multiple ".." are still not working.

With pwd.c32, instead of showing:
  /boot/syslinux/../
as before, now ( 4.06-pre9 ) shows the equivalent:
  /boot/
but that's still not the intended new working directory when using:
  APPEND ../../
which means that the pwd should had been:
  /boot/syslinux/../../
equivalent to:
  /
( meaning 2 directory levels up from /boot/syslinux/ ).

So the issue still persists in v.4.06-pre9, AND the Windows-based SYSLINUX installer doesn't work.

I'll wait for the next testing version. Let me know if you need some different test or additional info.

TIA.