[syslinux] altmbr.bin always boots the first partition

Maxim Kammerer mk at dee.su
Wed Mar 21 16:30:56 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 00:58, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Thank you, that made it quick to track down.  I just pushed a patch into
> the git repository.

Thanks! Looking at that assembly code snippet, it makes sense why
altmbr failed to boot when the byte was set to 0, yet treated
everything else as 1.

Please also note my remark about "dd iflag=fullblock" in the original
post. Without that argument, dd can read a block of 439 bytes before
cat gets a chance to send the byte from printf (due to printf startup
time), in which case dd will send only 439 bytes and exit. I had
experienced that happening, and had other people report that as well.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)