[syslinux] Help: Boot FreeDOS from the second pri. partition

Lee Eric openlinuxsource at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 01:03:58 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm going to create an USB flash disk. Here's the partition structure.

/dev/sdb1   *           1      537911      268955+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb2          537912     1598793      530441    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

/dev/sdb1 I used for installing boot loader(syslinux) and other small
standalone utilities. /dev/sdb2 is used for FreeDOS and I have copied
necessary files to the partition. Here's my syslinux.cfg in /dev/sdb1.

UI menu.c32
TIMEOUT 300
default localboot

MENU TITLE System Rescue Flash Disk

LABEL memtest
	MENU LABEL Memtest86+ (4.20)
	KERNEL memtest

LABEL freedos
	MENU LABEL FreeDOS 1.1
	COM32 chain.c32
	APPEND hd0 2 freedos=KERNEL.SYS

LABEL reboot
	MENU LABEL Cold Reboot
	COM32 reboot.c32

LABEL local
	MENU LABEL Boot from local hard drive
	LOCALBOOT 0x80

But when select freedos label it reports "Failed to load the boot
file". I remember that FreeDOS can be installed on other partitions.

Can anyone tell me how to fix that?

Thanks.

Eric