[syslinux] tftp with pxelinux.0 from syslinux 4.10-pre17

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Tue Mar 27 14:39:57 PDT 2012

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> on Tue, 2012/03/27 13:36:
> On 03/27/2012 01:24 AM, Christian Hesse wrote:
> >
> > By the way, I found a workaround: Loading ipxe kernel from pxelinux' menu
> > via tftp, which then fetches linux kernel and initrd via http.
> > This gives about 300kB extra data and an additional dhcp handshake, but
> > it's worth the effort on networks with high latencies.
>
> OK, now I'm slightly confused... I thought you were looking for a tftp
> solution?

No, I was looking for a way to transfer kernel und initrd via http. First
choice was syslinux 4.10-pre, but in my setup it stalls even before the menu
is displayed.
So yes, an ip/tcp/tftp regression keeps me from using latest pxelinux. ;)

Thus I used syslinux 4.05 (that has working tftp at least) and ipxe to get
things to go.
--
Best regards,
Chris