[syslinux] Defect ISO generation after yum upgrade

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Fri Mar 30 18:54:07 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 16:39 +0000, Morten B. Christensen wrote:
> But anyhows it would be great if isolinux had a bigger vocabulary -
> I've seen the error message 'Loading failed' used to many times. I
> guess it's the kernel thats actually producing the error message but
> don't know for sure.

0) The last messages on your screenshot read:
    Kernel load failure (insufficient memory?)
    boot:

1) "Kernel load failure (insufficient memory?)" can (currently) be found
in syslinux/com32/modules/linux.c, line 214:
    fprintf(stderr, "Kernel load failure (insufficient memory?)\n");

The preceding message can (currently) be found in lines 186 through 193
in that file:
            if (!opt_quiet)
                printf("Loading %s... ", arg);
            if (initramfs_load_archive(initramfs, arg)) {
                if (opt_quiet)
                    printf("Loading %s ", kernel_name);
                printf("failed!\n");
                goto bail;
            }

It is generated by line 187:
                printf("Loading %s... ", arg);
and by line 191:
               printf("failed!\n");

("boot:" should simply be the isolinux boot prompt, that isolinux
returned to after failing to load system.igz.)

2) So the (error) messages that you see are generated by the linux.c32
module. This is consistent with the isolinux.cfg file that you pasted in
your first message. It loads linux.c32 with syslinux's "kernel" command.
(The name of that command is actually a bit confusing for this
discussion, of course.)

Paul Bolle