[syslinux] Win32 syslinux needs to support mount points, disk numbers or volume names in addition to drive letters

Robert rliu at msn.com
Sun May 6 20:20:36 PDT 2012

As you know, the Linux version of syslinux supports mount points. But for the Win32 version, it only supports drive letters as in:

    syslinux –ma e:

However, drive letters are not always available, such as drives mounted to NTFS folders. In order to install syslinux to these drives, future release of syslinux should support using mount points as the drive spec; or alternatively, support disk numbers or volume names. Most Windows built in utilities support mount points (such as format) and it should not be too hard to implement.

I tried to get around this by backing up the first sector from a USB key that was formatted as a supper disk (that is, single partition with offset = 0 and no MBR, just like a floppy disk) and with syslinux successfully installed; then applying this boot sector to other USBS drives (also copy the ldlinux.sys to those drives). The drives do not boot.

Just a suggestion! If you need further info on this, please email me.