[syslinux] Scientific Linux, Centos, Fedora, etc without grub (only extlinux)

Dwight Schauer dschauer at gmail.com
Thu May 24 00:14:54 PDT 2012

OK, I can do Debian and Ubuntu installs that don't use grub (and don't
even install it) and instead only use extlinux. The extlinux
configuration gets automatically updated during kernel upgrades,
changes to extlinux configuration in /etc, and so forth.

Is there anyway to do this in a straightforward (or semi
straightforward) way in a modern RedHat derivative? On old legacy
installs that the kernel never/rarely gets updated, sure, it is not
hard to maintain extlinux configuration by hand. But on an
installation where the kernel is updated semi-regularly, I don't want
to have to fix my extlinux configuration by hand each time.

I've looked into it some, but I've not found a standard way of doing
it yet. (But I've not dug into it all that hard).

As I said, with Debian/Ubuntu it is very easy to use extlinux instead
of grub from beginning of an install. (ok, not the default install
media CDs from Canonical, I'm talking about a debootstrap based
install).

My RedHat derivative installs would likely originate from my own
install bootstrap via yum.

Dwight